Escape to Heaven: Saitama's Luxurious KAN-RAKU Hinoki Retreat

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Escape to Heaven: Saitama's Luxurious KAN-RAKU Hinoki Retreat

Escape to Heaven: Saitama's KAN-RAKU Hinoki Retreat - A Messy, Honest, and (Mostly) Blissful Review

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This ain't your pristine, perfectly-polished travel blog post. This is real-talk, warts and all, about my recent pilgrimage to Escape to Heaven: Saitama's Luxurious KAN-RAKU Hinoki Retreat. Yeah, the name's a mouthful, but the promise of a hinoki-scented escape? That was enough to get me on the train. And honestly? It was… something.

First, the Accessibility, or How I Almost Became a Tourist's Worst Nightmare

I'm not gonna lie, accessibility is a big deal for me. So, I was happy to see the retreat advertising itself as having Facilities for disabled guests and Elevator. Great! But, a Wheelchair accessible listing? Well, it's a bit… delicate. While the main areas were navigable, navigating the sprawling grounds felt like a mini-marathon. There were a few spots where my trusty, old, not-so-nimble legs felt like they were gonna give out. I'm not saying it's completely off-limits for those with limited mobility, but you might want to call ahead and get the lowdown on specific pathways. Definitely, double-check the Car park [on-site] is near your room too.

Then there's the Tech Stuff… or Did I Really Escape?

Alright, let’s talk internet. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! But, the Internet access – wireless was a bit spotty, especially in my room. Okay, I lie. It was totally non-existent at times. I actually had to walk outside, into the crisp Saitama air, to frantically check my emails. Internet [LAN] was apparently a thing, but honestly, who uses a cable anymore? Let's be frank, the internet situation was a solid meh.

The Hinoki Holy Grail… and Other Things to Do (or Not Do)

Now, the hinoki part? That’s the core of this place. And it delivers. The air, the wood, the sauna… it was all deeply relaxing. I mean, Spa/sauna AND Steamroom? Yes, please! I spent a solid afternoon sweating out my sins and feeling like a new person. Seriously, the Spa services were heavenly. The Body scrub was so good I almost forgot I had to wear a mask for the rest of the day (thanks, COVID!). I'm telling you, the Pool with view was so stunning, my jaw actually dropped open! Swimming pool [outdoor] and all! Unfortunately, my attempt at gracefully entering the water resulted in me doing a near swan dive that would make a toddler proud.

The Gym/fitness center? Well, let’s just say I spent more time admiring the view from the window than actually, you know, exercising. Let's just say the Fitness center looked a bit lonely.

Food, Glorious Food (Mostly)… And a Near-Disaster with the Vegetarian Restaurant

Okay, the eating situation was a wild ride. The Restaurants offer a wide variety of options: Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, and even Vegetarian restaurant. I'm vegetarian, and the thought of a dedicated place almost sent me into happy tears. Almost. The reality was… less idyllic.

Let me paint you a picture: I arrive, starving after a long day of things, and the Vegetarian restaurant is… closed. Closed! On a Saturday night! My inner monologue did a full-blown meltdown. Eventually, they salvaged the situation with an Alternative meal arrangement that involved eating Vegetarian dishes from other restaurants – which, to be frank, was a bit of a logistical mess.

But, the next day, breakfast? Breakfast [buffet] was on point! Asian breakfast and Western breakfast, I happily devoured a plateful of both. The coffee, though? Coffee/tea in restaurant was decent. The Desserts in restaurant were a sugary haze of perfection. And, god, the Salad in restaurant saved my life more than once.

Cleanliness, Safety, and the COVID Circus

Look, we're living in strange times. So, kudos to the retreat for taking Cleanliness and safety seriously. Hand sanitizer dispensers were everywhere. The staff was diligently wearing masks. Daily disinfection in common areas was a constant presence. The room sanitization opt-out available seemed unnecessary, but it's there, if that's your jam. Individually-wrapped food options and a Safe dining setup were also in full swing. Honestly, I felt much safer than, say, going to the supermarket.

My Room: The Sanctuary (and a few minor annoyances)

My room, a non-smoking Air conditioning, Room decorations was mostly a haven. The Blackout curtains were amazing, perfect for sleeping in. The Bathrobes were plush. And, the Hinoki scent lingered – subtly, blessedly.

But, I had a few minor gripes: the Internet access – LAN again, where are you?! The Alarm clock wasn't the most user-friendly, I'm sure most of our phones are better off! And honestly, the Additional toilet in the bathroom would have been nice. The Complimentary tea and Free bottled water were a nice touch, though.

The Quirks and the Qualities: A Bit of Everything

The things I liked: The Concierge, the Doorman, the Safety/security feature, the Front desk [24-hour] were always there. The Daily housekeeping crew was lovely. The Views, the Terrace!

The Things to Consider: I did get a slight touch of the "hotel chain" vibe, and I'm not sure if the retreat's not a part of a chain. My room had a lovely Smoke detector, though.

The Verdict: Would I Go Back?

Look, this place isn’t perfect. But it is memorable. The hinoki experience itself is worth it. I’d go back, armed with a better internet plan (or maybe just embrace the digital detox), and a clear understanding of the Vegetarian restaurant situation. It’s a place for quiet contemplation, spa days, and a solid escape from the everyday. Just… maybe bring a good book, and maybe some snacks.

Escape to Paradise: Beachfront Cabin in Pornichet, France!

Book Now

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Okay, buckle up buttercups. This is going to be less a meticulously planned travel itinerary and more a frantic scribble on a napkin fueled by jet lag and a serious craving for ramen. We're talking Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata in Honjo, Japan. Prepare for glorious chaos.

Day 1: The Great Honjo Arrival (and the Mystery of the Missing Toothbrush)

  • Morning (or rather, Somewhere in the Liminal Space Between Night and Day, thanks to the time difference): Landed at Narita. My luggage… survived. (Small miracle.) The airport was a blur of bowing, ultra-polite customs agents, and a desperate search for a decent coffee. Which, predictably, I found… eventually. The bullet train to Honjo? Smooth as silk. Except for the guy snoring like a chainsaw two seats over. Seriously, how?

  • Afternoon: Arrived at Hotel KAN-RAKU. "Hinoki No Yakata," huh? Sounds fancy. The lobby was lovely – minimalist, clean, smelled faintly of wood (presumably the hinoki). Check-in was a breeze. I mean, I managed to fumble through a few phrases of broken Japanese without completely mortifying myself. Victory! That is, until I got to my room and realized… no toothbrush. Sigh. This is the travel life, folks. Always something.

    • Anecdote Alert: I'd packed, I swear I had, but apparently, my packing skills rival that of a toddler. I'm convinced there's a vortex in my suitcase where things just… disappear. Like those socks that vanish in the dryer.
  • Late Afternoon/Early Evening: The Onsen (hot spring bath) beckons. The reviews said it was the hotel's highlight. Me? I'm a little bit nervous about the whole naked bathing thing. Okay, a lot nervous. But hey, when in Rome… or, you know, Honjo.

    • Quirky Observation: The sheer efficiency of Japanese hotel rooms is astounding. Every inch of space is utilized. It makes my apartment back home look like a hoarder's dream.
  • Evening: The Onsen experience. Well, it was… an experience. The water was scalding hot. I nearly fainted from embarrassment because I wasn't sure what to do, I was trying to be polite and didn't want people to think I was not enjoying the hot springs. It was almost comical, watching people do the right thing… taking their time, very relaxed, and me was the only one who almost die from heat. The awkwardness was palpable. But, eventually, I got the hang of it. And afterward, the most amazing thing happened. My skin felt like it had been reborn. So zen, and yet so bizarre at the same time.

    • Emotional Reaction: I was utterly mortified at first. Completely out of my depth. But ultimately, it was incredibly relaxing. And frankly, a bit liberating. Maybe I'll actually grow up… someday.
    • Rambling Alert: Afterward, I went back to the room, and I stared at myself at the mirror and couldn't believe that I survived.
  • Night: Dinner. Found a little ramen place nearby. Ordered something, I have no idea what, but it smelled incredible. The broth was rich, the noodles… perfection. I'm calling it. I could stay here forever.

    • Imperfection Note: I accidentally spilled some ramen broth on my shirt. Thankfully, it’s dark. Nobody saw, right? Right?

Day 2: Honjo Hustle & The Quest for the Perfect Curry Rice

  • Morning: Breakfast at the hotel. The buffet was a stunning array of Japanese curiosities. Tried everything. Possibly too much. I'm pretty sure I consumed a small farm's worth of pickled vegetables. My stomach… is still adjusting.

  • Mid-Morning Walkabout: Decided to explore Honjo. The area around the hotel seemed quiet. I got a bit lost (surprise!). Wandered through some side streets, saw some cute little temples, and felt intensely tranquil.

  • Late Morning: Decided on a spontaneous visit to the local shrine, which was incredibly beautiful. It was full of colorful lanterns, and it felt like walking into a dream. I lit a few incense sticks because I wanted a peaceful moment.

    • Emotional Reaction: Feeling the stillness, I was incredibly moved. Really feeling a sense of peace (which, let's be honest, doesn't happen often). I sat there for a while, just absorbing the atmosphere. It was one of the most beautiful moments.
  • Afternoon: The Great Curry Rice Hunt! I'd heard rumors of amazing curry rice near the station. This became my sacred quest of all this trip. I was determined, I was focused, and I was… slightly hangry. After walking around more than the needed, still, zero results. The curry ghosts would not show themselves.

    • Opinionated Language: Seriously, how is it possible to not find curry rice in Japan? It's a national treasure! What's the deal?
  • Late Afternoon: Failed in the curry rice quest, gave up. Went to a cafe and got a coffee and read a book.

  • Evening: Back at the hotel. Took another soak in the onsen. This time, less mortification, more zen. Ate dinner. I still feel that I deserve that curry rice.

Day 3: (potentially) Leaving, and Curry Rice Dreams

  • Morning: Packing. Again. Maybe this time, those missing items will magically reappear. (Don't hold your breath.)

    • Imperfection Note: Realized, as I was writing this, that I forgot to buy souvenirs. (Facepalm.)
  • Mid-Morning: One last walk. I have a final chance for curry, although I'm starting to feel it is like trying to find a unicorn.

  • Afternoon: Okay, you know, forget the itinerary. This whole trip, all of this, the memories and the food, is probably the closest thing I get to a dream! Okay, I know. I'm a dork. But I love it!

  • Evening: Leaving the hotel. I managed to get my coffee at the airport. The trip was truly something. Maybe I'll visit again. And maybe, just maybe, I'll finally find that darn curry rice.

  • Emotional Reaction: This was the best trip ever!

This is just a rough sketch, of course. The actual experience will invariably be messier, funnier, and far more memorable than I can possibly predict. But that's the whole point, right? Embrace the chaos! And for the love of all that is holy, remember to pack a toothbrush.

Unbelievable Chalet Deal! Ski-in/Ski-out Luxury in Stadl an der Mur, Austria

Book Now

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan```html

Okay, Spill: Is "Escape to Heaven" Really Heaven, or Just, You Know, a Fancy Ryokan?

Alright, alright. The name's a bit… much, isn't it? "Escape *to Heaven*"? I mean, I’m skeptical by nature. I went with a friend; we kinda needed a break from… life. And look, let's be honest, it IS a fancy ryokan. Think pristine hinoki wood, the smell of which just oozes zen (and a little bit of expensive). The rooms are HUGE. Like, you could lose a small child in the genkan huge. But heaven? Nah. Not unless heaven serves you *multiple* course meals of locally sourced, ridiculously fresh food. (It doesn't, judging by the lack of pearly gates.) But… BUT… there was this one moment. Right? The onsen, the open-air bath, the steam rising. It was late, the stars were out, and I was, for the first time that week, completely relaxed. My friend started singing off-key, and I almost, *almost*, forgot about my boss, my overflowing inbox, and the existential dread of figuring out dinner. *Almost.* That’s probably the closest I got to celestial. So, good ryokan? Absolutely. Heavenly? The jury’s still out, and probably leaning towards "highly enjoyable earthly experience."

What's the Deal with the Hinoki Wood? Am I Going to Be Surrounded By a Giant, Expensive Perfume?

Oh, the hinoki. *The hinoki.* It’s everywhere. Every wall, every floor, even the *bath itself* is carved from this glorious, fragrant cypress. And yes, the smell is strong. Really strong. When you first walk in, it's like… you've been teleported inside a lumber mill (a *very* expensive lumber mill). Honestly? At first, I was overwhelmed. Like, "Okay, okay! I get it! Wood! We're in the woods! Can we PLEASE have some air conditioning?" But then… it’s a bit like being in a spa. It’s genuinely relaxing. I slept like a baby in that hinoki-scented haven, and I usually suffer from insomnia. So yeah, the wood is a big part of the experience. If you're a super-sensitive type, maybe bring a dust mask (kidding… mostly). It's a sensory overload, yes, but a good one. Just prepare to smell like a forest for a week.

The Food: Is it Instagram-Worthy Delicious, or Hype-Worthy Disappointing? (And Seriously, I'm Hungry.)

Okay, the food. GOD. THE FOOD. Okay, let me take a breath. It's… *chef’s kiss*. Seriously. Forget your Instagram. Devour it. Because you won’t want to be faffing around taking pictures when the first course arrives. (It's a crime, really.) It's all locally sourced, seasonal stuff, beautifully presented. Tiny little works of art. And the taste…? Oh, the taste! I remember this ONE dish. This… I don't even know WHAT it was, some kind of perfectly seared fish with a delicate sauce. I was so busy savoring it, I forgot to be polite and probably inhaled it. My friend, bless her, was still carefully dissecting her own dish, and I just kinda… stared at her while she ate. Then, I ordered another. I mean, it wasn't cheap, but… it was worth every yen. Look, if you don't like good food in an absolutely beautiful setting, this place isn't for you. If you do? Sign me up for another meal. Please.

Beyond the Onsen and Hinoki: What Else is There to *Do*? My Attention Span is a Squirrel.

Okay, squirrel brain. I get it. So, beyond soaking and smelling wood, there's… well, not a ton. Which is kind of the point, right? It's meant to be a retreat. Relaxation central. They offer massages, of course (which I highly recommend, especially after stuffing your face), and you can explore the local area if you feel the need to *actually move*. We, however, mostly stayed put. I mean, there was a little shop with some souvenirs, but mostly… we just lounged. Read books. Drank tea. Actually, I spent a lot of time staring at the koi pond, convinced the fish were judging me. I am sure other people do more, going for hikes, visiting local temples. But I needed a break from doing things, from needing to function. And “doing nothing, but in a fancy room” was perfect. So don't expect rock climbing walls, okay? It's designed to chill the heck out. And if you're like me, that's exactly what you're after.

The Onsen: Awkward Nudity and All? Give Me the Real Deal!

Ah, the onsen. This is *The* experience, right? You’re in a public bath in the buff, so that's a big leap for Westerners and a potential source of utter panic for some. And yes, it's naked time. Don't even think about bringing your swimsuit. Okay, so my first time… I’m not going to lie, I was terrified. Walked (very, very slowly) to the bath area (the outdoor one). I'm pretty sure my friend could feel my nerves. The other people were… used to it. I felt like a total tourist, and I was. I was so busy worrying about how I looked (always a mistake) that I almost tripped entering the water. It’s HOT. Really hot. You ease in. But… after a while… you relax. You let go of the self consciousness. The hot water soothes everything. The stars come out. Someone starts quietly humming a song. Nothing else matters. I mean, you are surrounded by other naked people, but it becomes… normal. And the feeling afterward? Incredible. Like all your worries have been rinsed away with the sweat and whatever else comes out of you in hot water, just feeling pure. It's a vulnerable and weird experience but, I promise, it's one of the best parts of the whole thing.

Would You Go Back? (The Ultimate Question!)

Okay, so here's the deal. It’s not cheap. Not at all. It's a splurge. It's the kind of trip you save up for (at least, *I* do). But… yeah. I would. In a heartbeat. I’m already planning it. Possibly for my birthday. I need that reset. I need the exquisite food, the smell of the wood, and the completely, utterly, relaxing feeling of just… *being*. Yes it's expensive, yes it's a bit pretentious with the name, but yes, I would go back. And you probably should too. Just, maybe, work on your onsen-going stride first. (I'm still working on mine.)
```Wander Stay Spot

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan

Hotel KAN-RAKU Saitama Honjo-Waseda Hinoki No Yakata Honjo Japan