Unbelievable Ocean Views! Your Dream San Remo Escape Awaits (Belvilla by OYO)
Unbelievable Ocean Views? More Like "Un-freaking-believable" - My San Remo Escape (Belvilla by OYO) - A Review That’s Almost As Chaotic As My Last Vacation
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because I’m about to unleash a review of "Unbelievable Ocean Views! Your Dream San Remo Escape Awaits" (Belvilla by OYO) – and trust me, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. Prepare for a rollercoaster of opinions, because, honestly, my stay was… well, it was a lot. Consider this less a structured critique and more a stream-of-consciousness diary entry fueled by espresso and lingering memories of sun-kissed skin.
First Impressions (and a Slight Panic Attack About the Stairs):
The name doesn’t lie, the views are truly, ridiculously, jaw-droppingly unbelievable. That’s the good news. The bad news, for yours truly, is that "Unbelievable Ocean Views!" also translates (at least in my experience) to "Lots of Stairs!" or, and this is a direct quote from me at check-in, "Dear God, please let there be an elevator…" (Spoiler alert: there wasn't).
Accessibility - Oh Dear God (and the Stairs):
Let’s be honest, the aforementioned stairs are a big deal. This place is not wheelchair accessible in any meaningful way. Forget the "accessible rooms" promises, unless "accessibility" means "you can see the ocean from the bottom of the staircase" – which, admittedly, you can. But good luck getting there. The lack of elevator and general lack of consideration of accessibility feels like a major oversight. I’m giving it a generous one star for accessibility, mostly because the view makes up for a lot, if you can physically get to it.
Cleanliness and Safety – Sanitized, but Still a Little Suspicious:
The whole COVID situation is still hanging over everything like a bad perfume. They claim to be on top of it: anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection, room sanitization between stays… the works. Staff were masked and seemed well trained in safety protocols. I even saw them sterilizing equipment like they were prepping for surgery. However, I'm a natural skeptic. Did I really see a sterilized kitchen? Was that really "professional-grade sanitizing"? I have my doubts. The relentless washing-and-wiping felt performative, and, strangely, the whole place still felt a little… sus. Still, I’ll give them credit for trying. 3 out of 5 stars here – because hey, at least they're trying!
The Room – A Mix of Paradise and Purgatory (Mostly Paradise):
Once I finally, finally hauled my luggage up those infernal stairs (wheezing optional), I was greeted by pure, unadulterated awesomeness. Seriously, the room itself was fantastic.
- The View: Did I mention the view? Because, seriously, the view is worth selling your soul for. Imagine waking up to the sunrise painting the Mediterranean Sea in hues you didn’t even know existed. Absolute perfection. The sound of the waves crashing below was the ultimate soundtrack to my vacation.
- Ambiance: The room had a lovely balcony, perfect for sipping espresso (which you can make as there is a coffee/tea maker), a spacious seating area, a comfortable bed, and nice touches like bathrobes and slippers. The blackout curtains are a godsend and the air conditioning a lifesaver during the hotter hours.
- The Details (and the Annoyances): The free Wi-Fi actually worked (thank the gods!), the mini-bar had some tasty treats (and extortionate prices), and the room sanitization opting out was a nice touch. However… the refrigerator made a weird noise. I found an extra long bed to be extra long and difficult to navigate.
- The Bathroom: The separate shower/bathtub was a nice touch, the toiletries were okay, but no bath mat.
- Internet: The Internet access – wireless was fast, the internet access – LAN had a slower speed.
- Available in All Rooms: There was Air conditioning, an Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Sofa, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens!
- Missing Details: The closet in my room had no hangers and I had to get a hanger from the room cleaner.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (with Some Quirks):
The in-house restaurant was a highlight! I loved the Western Cuisine options! I went all in on the breakfast buffet, because why not? I had breakfast [buffet] with Asian breakfast. It was good, but the choices were limited, and the staff seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. The Poolside bar was charming, offering a wide selection of Cocktails, the Happy Hour was really happy and well priced! I loved my Desserts in restaurant! The A la carte in restaurant was a plus. The Snack bar was useful for the occasional between-meal craving. Things I observed:
- The bottle of water was complimentary.
- There was Coffee/tea in restaurant
- There was Salad in restaurant offering
- There was Soup in restaurant available.
- There was Vegetarian restaurant with vegetarian cuisine.
Things to Do (and Ways to Relax, or, You Know, Get Slightly Bored):
Okay, let's be honest. This place isn’t exactly a hive of activity. It’s more about chilling and soaking up the sun (and those views).
- Pool: Did I mention there’s a swimming pool with a view? It was pretty awesome, and even Swimming pool [outdoor] was fantastic.
- Gym (kind of): The Fitness center was okay. I'm used to more, but for a vacation it was great.
- Body scrub and Massage were great, and I enjoyed the Spa offerings.
- Spa/sauna was a nice escape, as was the Steamroom and Foot bath. I really enjoyed the Sauna!
- The Downsides: There’s a general lack of organized activities, and the evenings can feel a little…quiet. It's great if you want serenity, but if you're looking for a party, you'll be disappointed.
Overall Services and Conveniences - A Mixed Bag:
The staff were generally friendly and helpful. The Doorman was attentive and the concierge was useful for making recommendations (although they seemed a little understaffed at times.) The Daily housekeeping was reliable. The luggage storage was a godsend, considering the stairs. I used the laundry service and it came back clean. However, a few glitches: the elevator was available and sometimes the Air conditioning in public area worked. Some of the facilities for disabled guests were lacking.
- The Good: The Front desk [24-hour] was helpful and the Safety deposit boxes made me feel secure. The Cash withdrawal was a nice perk.
- The Not-So-Good: The convenience store was overpriced.
- The Annoying: The Invoice provided showed the extra charges.
For the Kids - If You Dare:
I didn’t bring any kids, but the presence of Kids meal made me think about it. If I had kids, I don’t think it would be for me. The Family/child friendly vibe of the accommodation? Well, let’s just say: those stairs.
Getting Around:
- The Car Park: I’m happy there was a car park [free of charge]! But the Car park [on-site] was full.
- The Taxi: Taxi service was available for getting around.
- Airport Transfer: The Airport transfer was available, and I would have used it! Luckily for me, I rented a car, but unfortunately there was car power charging station for my car.
- Bicycle Parking: Bicycle parking was a plus.
- Valet Parking: The Valet parking was available.
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the chaotic, beautiful mess that was my "relaxing" trip to La Rosa dei Venti in San Remo, Italy. Belvilla by OYO, you say? Consider me warned. Here's the itinerary, or at least, the semblance of one I managed to cobble together. Prepare for the glorious trainwreck.
Day 1: Arrival - The Italian Welcome (or Lack Thereof)
- Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Arrive at Nice Airport (NCE). Okay, so it started promising. Sun shining, clear skies… then the Great Luggage Debacle. My suitcase, the suitcase, the one with all my good dresses, decided to play hide-and-seek. Cue panic. Found it, eventually (delayed flight, ugh). Lesson: Pack essential items in your carry-on. Like, you know, pants.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Train to San Remo. The train itself was a study in Italian charm. Elderly ladies chatting, the rhythmic clack of the tracks, the stunning coastline whizzing by. Beautiful, yes. Painfully slow? Also yes. I devoured three books and started contemplating the meaning of life.
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Check-in at La Rosa dei Venti. Found the place okay. The photos online, well, they were… generous. Let's just say the villa looked like it had been in a hurricane, and the "sea view" was more of a "tiny sliver of ocean if you squint really hard and ignore the neighbor's satellite dish." The key situation was a comedy of errors. It took me three tries, one broken nail, and a healthy dose of Italian frustration to finally get into the bloody house. I swear, I almost gave up and slept on the beach.
- Evening (6:00 PM - Whenever I passed out from exhaustion): Explore San Remo, find a restaurant, and eat all the pasta. Found some place by the sea eventually. The food was actually pretty decent but it cost a fortune. I had the best pasta I have ever had and ate so much I think I could have exploded.
Day 2: San Remo Shenanigans & The Great Olive Oil Scandal
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Attempt to be cultured. Visited the Casino di San Remo. It was… well, it was a casino. I lost five euros and decided gambling wasn't my forte. The architecture was beautiful, though.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): A culinary adventure! I love food. Specifically, buying all the food. Went to the market. It was a sensory overload, in the best way possible! The vibrant produce, the passionate vendors, the smell of fresh basil… Heaven. I bought a bunch of things I had no idea how to cook, but hey, it made an amazing photo.
- The Olive Oil Incident (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Buckle up, folks, because this is where things got interesting. I decided to buy olive oil directly from a "family-run" shop. I was sold the "finest extra virgin olive oil" which supposedly came from their family's own olive groves. It was expensive, but I figured it was an authentic experience. Back at the villa, I tasted it. It tasted like… well, it tasted like something had been put in my mouth that I shouldn't have tasted in the first place. I think it could have been worse. I think I was able to throw it out, but I'm not fully sure.
- Evening (6:00 PM - Late): More pasta! This time, I took a risk. I went for the highly recommended pasta. It was delicious! I had a great time and drank a few bottles of wine until the restaurant shut down.
Day 3: Beach Vibes & The Case of the Missing Sunglasses
- Morning (10:00 AM - 1:00 PM): BEACH TIME. Finally, some serious chill. Found a nice beach, spread out my towel, and promptly forgot to put on sunscreen. Yup, the lobster look was in full effect by lunchtime.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Swim, nap, repeat. It was glorious… until I realized my sunglasses were gone. Poof. Vanished. Did they get stolen? Did I leave them on the bus? Did I accidentally sit on them? The mystery remains. I interrogated everyone. I mean, I tried to. My Italian is… let's say, "emerging."
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Attempted cooking. The market haul was staring at me reproachfully. Made a salad. burned the pasta. Ate salad anyway. I am a fantastic chef!
- Evening (6:00 PM - Late): Last night in San Remo. Tried to find another restaurant. Almost went to a place that was absolutely horrible but managed to find a great restaurant with great food and great people. Again, I drank too much wine and had a fantastic time.
Day 4: Departure – Farewell, San Remo, You Beautiful Disaster
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Packing. Cue the usual frantic search for chargers, misplaced socks, and the lingering scent of olive oil (the good kind, hopefully).
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - Onward): Train back to Nice Airport. Reflect on the trip. Admiring the landscapes. The sea, the people, the food, the chaos.
- Evening (Always): Fly Home. Reflecting on how wonderful it was to get away and realizing it was a total mess.
Overall Assessment:
La Rosa dei Venti, you were… an experience. Belvilla by OYO, you could do better. Would I recommend this trip? YES, ABSOLUTELY. Despite the luggage drama, the olive oil fiasco, and the questionable villa conditions, San Remo was incredible. It was a reminder that the best travel moments aren't about perfection; they're about the imperfections, the screw-ups, the unexpected turns. The laughs, the food, the friendships. Even the burnt pasta. They make the story. And this, my friends, is a story I'll be telling (and embellishing) for years to come. Ciao, Italy! Until next time! Or maybe not. ;)
Scheveningen Harbor Haven: Your Dream Luxury Apartment Awaits!