Orlando's Westgate: Your Epic Vacation Awaits!
Westgate Orlando: Your Epic Vacation Awaits… Or Does It? (A Frankly Honest Review)
Okay, folks, buckle up. This isn't your average, polished hotel review. I’m about to drop some truth bombs about Westgate Orlando: Your Epic Vacation Awaits! Let's just say, "epic" is a loaded word. My experience? It had its moments, and then it had moments.
SEO & Metadata (Because Apparently, We Have To):
- Keywords: Westgate Orlando, Orlando Resort, Family Vacation, Accessible Hotel, Wheelchair Accessible, Pool, Spa, Restaurants, Disney World, Universal Studios, Family Friendly, Free Wi-Fi, On-site Dining, Activities, Resort Review
- Meta Description: A brutally honest review of Westgate Orlando! Discover the good, the bad, and the truly baffling aspects of this sprawling resort. From accessibility to the questionable pizza, get the real story before you book.
Accessibility - Let’s Start with the Important Stuff:
Alright, let's get this out of the way: ACCESSIBILITY IS KEY. Having a friend in a wheelchair, this was huge for me. Westgate mostly delivers. Public areas seemed pretty navigable, which was a relief. The elevators? Good. Ramps? Present, for the most part. However, there were a few head-scratching moments. Small things, a slightly too-steep ramp here, a door that was a hair too difficult to open independently there… It’s not perfectly seamless, but definitely better than some places we've tried and a solid score.
(Emotional Reaction: Relief, mixed with a tiny bit of "could do better.")
On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: This is a crucial point. Having options where my friend could comfortably maneuver was essential. I'd say the restaurants themselves were, for the most part, accessible. The seating arrangements varied, so be prepared to potentially ask for a table that works.
Internet - Because We Can’t Live Without It:
FREE WI-FI IN ALL ROOMS! Praise be! Seriously, in this day and age, it's expected, but it’s still a bonus when it actually works. I can't tell you how many hotels I've stayed in where the Wi-Fi is slower than dial-up. Westgate’s? Pretty decent. No complaints there. We streamed movies, checked emails, and even managed to post some ridiculously embarrassing vacation photos.
Internet [LAN]: Didn't use it. Seriously, who uses a LAN connection anymore? Unless you're reliving your dial-up days…
Internet Services: Fine. Standard internet. Nothing to write home about.
Wi-Fi in Public Areas: Yep, available. Expected, but appreciated.
(Emotional Reaction: Mild satisfaction. I mean, it's internet. It just is.)
Things to do, Ways to Relax - This is Where It Gets Interesting:
Oh, the things to do… My inner child practically exploded!
- Swimming Pool: Multiple! Outdoor! Some with views! The pools were fantastic and a real highlight of our stay. We spent hours lounging in them, sipping (questionable) cocktails and just, you know, relaxing.
- Pool with view: Yes! It was one of the best parts.
- Gym/fitness: I glanced in. Looked like your average hotel gym. I chose to skip the gym and enjoy the pool instead.
- Spa/sauna: It's Westgate, so of course they have a spa. It. Was. Divine. I may have gotten a massage. I may have spent more time in the sauna than was probably healthy. (Don’t judge me.)
- Steamroom: Also present. I didn't use it, but it was there.
- Body scrub / Body wrap / Massage / Foot bath: All available at the spa. Because, vacation.
- Fitness center: As above, I skipped it.
- Sauna: Ah, the sauna. See above.
- Things to do: The sheer amount of stuff is overwhelming. You've got everything from mini-golf to arcades to… well, a lot of things.
(Emotional Reaction: Pure, unadulterated bliss for the pool and spa. Slightly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of options.)
Cleanliness & Safety - Because We're Living Through a Pandemic…:
Alright, let's get serious for a second. This is a crucial topic.
- Anti-viral cleaning products / Daily disinfection in common areas / Hygiene certification / Professional-grade sanitizing services / Rooms sanitized between stays: All seemed to be in place. We saw staff constantly cleaning, which was reassuring.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Seemed like it. Everyone was masked, and they appeared to be taking things seriously.
- Cashless payment service: Convenient.
- Safe dining setup: Tables spaced apart, etc.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter / Room sanitization opt-out available: Good.
- Individually-wrapped food options / Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Check and check.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing / Sterilizing equipment: Again, appeared to me.
- Shared stationery removed: Yeah. No pens or paper.
(Emotional Reaction: Mostly relieved. It's hard to feel completely relaxed in the current climate, but Westgate seemed to be doing a decent job.)
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Fuel for Vacation Fun (and Maybe Disappointment):
Okay. Food. Here's where things get a little… complicated.
- Restaurants: Multiple. From casual to slightly fancier.
- A la carte in restaurant / Alternative meal arrangement / Breakfast [buffet] / Buffet in restaurant / Coffee/tea in restaurant / Dessert in restaurant / International cuisine in restaurant / Poolside Bar / Salad in restaurant / Soup in restaurant / Vegetarian restaurant / Western cuisine in restaurant: All available.
- Asian Cuisine in restaurant: Yeah.
- Bar: Yep.
- Coffee Shop: Yup.
- Snack bar: Yup.
- Bottle of water: Free, in the room. Always appreciated.
- Breakfast service / Breakfast takeaway service / Room service(24-hour): Check, check, and check.
- Happy Hour: Yay! Cheap drinks!
- Asian Breakfast / Western Breakfast: Options.
The Sheer Volume of food options is definitely a plus. The quality, though, was a bit of a mixed bag. The buffet breakfast? Standard hotel fare, nothing to write home about. The pool bar? Great for convenience, but let's just say their cocktails prioritized volume over quality.
I will say, the pizza. The pizza. I ordered a pizza one night after a long day at a theme park. It was… an experience. Let's just say it tasted less like pizza and more like something I found at the bottom of the freezer. It was a moment of existential crisis.
(Emotional Reaction: Range from mild appreciation to utter disappointment. The pizza incident nearly broke me.)
Services and Conveniences - The Stuff That Makes Life Easier (or Harder):
- Air conditioning in public area / Audio-visual equipment for special events / Business facilities / Cash withdrawal / Concierge / Contactless check-in/out / Convenience store / Currency exchange / Daily housekeeping / Doorman / Dry cleaning / Elevator / Essential condiments / Facilities for disabled guests / Food delivery / Gift/souvenir shop / Indoor venue for special events / Invoice provided / Ironing service / Laundry service / Luggage storage / Meeting/banquet facilities / Meetings / Meeting stationery / On-site event hosting / Outdoor venue for special events / Projector/LED display / Safety deposit boxes / Seminars / Shrine / Smoking area / Terrace / Wi-Fi for special events / Xerox/fax in business center: All the usual suspects.
- Babysitting service: Available.
- Family/child friendly / Kids facilities / Kids meal: Absolutely. It’s a family resort.
- Airport transfer / Bicycle parking / Car park [free of charge] / Car park [on-site] / Car power charging station / Taxi service / Valet parking: Yes.
- Hotel chain: It's Westgate, so yes!
Honestly, it's a well-oiled machine. All the basics, and a few extra bells and whistles. Check-in was easy. The concierge was helpful. The convenience store came in handy for late-night snacks (and perhaps a second pizza attempt - I'm a glutton for punishment).
(Emotional Reaction: Efficient. Perhaps a little too efficient. It felt a bit… impersonal at times.)
For the Kids - Because They're the Whole Point, Right?:
Kids facilities? Abundant. This place is geared towards families. Pools, playgrounds, arcades, the works.
(Emotional Reaction: Kids would love it. Probably. Hopefully, they wouldn't have the pizza.)
Available in all rooms - The Nitty Gritty:
- **Additional toilet, Air conditioning
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're heading down to Westgate Leisure Resort in Orlando and things are gonna get… interesting. Consider this less of a polished itinerary and more of a slightly unhinged travel diary. Prepare yourselves.
WESTGATE LEISURE RESORT: ORLANDO - Operation "Survive the Mickey Mouse Mania"
(P.S. This is gonna be a mess, in a good way, I hope. I'm prone to tangents, and let's be honest, so are you if you're still reading.)
Day 1: Arrival. Or, "Where's the Fridge?"
1:00 PM: The Descent (aka, Arrival at MCO): Okay, so the flight was… fine. Actually, scratch that. The flight was a cramped metal tube of recycled air and questionable snacks. My carry-on, a backpack that's seen better days, somehow made it through security without incident. Victory! Now, for the real test: Orlando traffic. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!
2:30 PM: Car Rental Catastrophe (or, "Why Didn't I Spring for the Extra Insurance?!"): Found the rental car. It’s a… uh… well, it is a car. Let's leave it at that. Apparently, the "compact" I reserved means "designed for ants." And of course, the friendly rental agent tried to upsell me on everything. Should I have gotten the insurance? Probably. Did I panic buy it anyway? Maybe. Don't judge me, this is all a blur of jet lag and sunshine.
4:00 PM: Check-in Shenanigans (aka, "Where's the Pool???"): Finally, Westgate! The lobby is… gigantic. Like, holy cow, it’s practically a small city within a city. Check-in was a breeze, thankfully, mostly 'cause the kids were melting down and I just wanted to get to the room. Apparently, they didn’t get anywhere near the room yet, and the pool and slides were great
5:00 PM: The Room Reveal (and the Quest for the Fridge!): Our villa! It's… spacious. I'm talking massive. Kitchen, living room, balcony that actually looks like the pictures. And… A FRIDGE! Yes! The fridge is the all-important first stop. Gotta stock up on emergency snacks… and maybe some celebratory beverages. You know, to cope.
6:00 PM: Poolside Bliss (and the Reality Check): The pool looks amazing, and the kids hit the slides, I swear, they got through the line in like 2 minutes, they are going so fast, I am jealous. They love it. I am finally relaxing by the pool with my first fruity beverage. I get a slight sunburn on my shoulders. Oh well, nothing a little aloe can't fix, I think.
8:00 PM: Dinner Disaster (aka, "Why Did I Think Cooking Was a Good Idea?"): Okay, so I thought, "Hey, let's cook!" Yeah, scratch that. The "kitchen" feels more like a museum exhibit, with every appliance staring back at me with cold, unblinking judgment. Ordered pizza. Delivery guy was super efficient, and now we have pizza and garlic knots. Crisis averted (for now).
9:00 PM: Bedtime Battles (and the Sweet, Sweet Sound of Silence): Kids are FINALLY asleep. The jet lag hit them like a ton of bricks. Now I have the entire balcony to myself to unwind.
Day 2: Theme Park Triumphs (and Emotional Rollercoasters)
7:00 AM: Wake Up With the Sun (and a Headache): Ugh. Sleep was amazing, as it turns out, I forgot about the coffee maker for a while. I found it in the kitchen, and now I'm awake, and on the go!
9:00 AM: Ready for the Parks?! Time to get ready for the parks, let's hope they're ready too. We're going to Epcot today!
10:00 AM: Epcot Explorer! The kids are obsessed on the rides, and I'm trying to get in on the fun!
12:00 PM: LUNCH! We found the perfect lunch, and now we're ready to keep going!
2:00 PM: The World Showcase: Finally, the world showcase! I'm so excited!
4:00 PM: More rides! We did another ride, and we are ready to go back to the hotel for tonight!
6:00 PM: Back to the Hotel
8:00 PM: Dinner Went to the hotel, had some more pizza!
Day 3: Pool Days, and the Unspoken Truths
9:00 AM: Sleep? I need sleep, but the kids are awake!
11:00 AM: Pool Time! We are going to the pool today!
1:00 PM: Lunch The burgers are amazing.
5:00 PM: More Pool The kids are still loving the pool, and honestly, so am I.
7:00 PM: Dinner We had dinner at the hotel again, it was amazing!
9:00 PM: Sleep Time to sleep!
Day 4: Leaving
8:00 AM: Check out of the hotel!
9:00 AM: The last time at the park, and then to the airport!
12:00 PM: Airport!
Post-Trip Thoughts (aka, "The Aftermath")
This trip… was a lot. Did I get sunburned? Yes. Did I overspend? Probably. Did I cry at a Disney fireworks show? Maybe. Did I feel like I was going to lose my mind several times? Absolutely.
But… would I trade it? Not a chance. The goofy grins on those kids' faces, the shared moments of laughter (and the occasional meltdown), the memories we made – those are the real treasures.
Westgate Leisure Resort? It's a good basecamp, for sure. It's family-friendly, it's equipped with everything you need, and it's conveniently located.
So, if you're heading to Orlando with your own little band of chaos? Pack your patience, your sunscreen, and maybe a bottle of wine (or two). You'll need it. You'll survive. And you might even have an absolutely ridiculous, unforgettable time.
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Maasmechelen Holiday Home Awaits!Westgate Orlando: Your Epic... Maybe? Let's See! - FAQs (With a Side of Chaos)
So, Westgate Orlando... Is it REALLY all that epic? Like, should I mortgage the house epic?
Okay, deep breath. Epic? That's a loaded word, isn't it? Look, *some* parts are pretty darn great. The pools? Fantastic. Seriously. I spent, like, a solid afternoon trying to perfect my swan dive off the little rock feature. Spoiler alert: still need work. But mortgage-the-house epic? Probably not. Unless you’re REALLY into timeshares, and let's be honest, that's a whole *other* epic level of commitment. I overheard someone complaining about the sales pitch after their 'free breakfast'. Oh, the faces! The drama! Almost worth the price of admission alone.
What's the deal with the rooms? They look pretty swanky online...
Swanky is… a word. My room at Westgate was, shall we say, *generously* proportioned. Like, could have hosted a small dance-off in the living room. Which, let's be honest, I did. (Don't judge my questionable dance moves, okay?) We stayed in the Villas, and honestly, the setup was convenient. Kitchen? Awesome for cheap breakfasts and late-night snacks when the Disney-induced exhaustion hit. The beds? Surprisingly comfortable, though the pillows seemed to have a vendetta against my neck. And the decor? Well, let's call it "comfortably dated." Think… early 2000s luxury with a dash of “we've seen a lot of families.” There was some wear and tear, sure, but hey, that's the price of sharing your space with a thousand other vacationers, right?
The Pools! Everyone raves about the pools! Spill the tea.
Okay, the pools. ARE. AMAZING. Seriously. Okay, one more big breath here, because I was legit disappointed I didn't spend *more* time there. The lazy river? Dreamy. The water slides? Thrilling (even for this old(ish) lady). The little kiddie area? Perfect for keeping the little ones happy while you secretly sip your overpriced poolside cocktail and judge the other vacationers’ swimwear choices. (Just kidding… mostly. Okay, a little judgment involved.) One tip: go early to snag chairs with a good view of the action! Unless you LIKE a front-row seat to screaming kids… in which case, more power to ya! I actually had a *moment* by the pool. Just sat there, soaking in the sun, completely forgetting the long lines for Space Mountain. It was… *almost* perfect.
What's the food situation like? Any hidden gems? Or just… overpriced tourist traps?
Okay, food. This is where things get… interesting. On-site? Convenient, for sure. The Marketplace was good, I grabbed a quick coffee and a pastry which was a win. But, let’s be real, you’re not going to Westgate for a culinary experience that’ll knock your socks off. It's more about convenience and satisfying those post-theme park cravings. Here's the real tea: explore the surrounding area. There are a TON of restaurants just a short drive away. Seriously, Yelp is your friend here. I had some *amazing* Cuban food at a little hole-in-the-wall place about 10 minutes away. Seriously, the best *ropa vieja* I've ever had. Which, by the way, leads me to another tip: Always check the map. Proximity to the parks is AMAZING. But proximity to *good food*? Also epic.
Is it REALLY close to the theme parks? Like, "roll out of bed and onto a ride" close?
Okay, don't get your hopes *too* high for the "roll out of bed" thing. But yes, Westgate is definitely well-located. You're talking a very short drive to Disney, Universal, and the like. Like, seriously, traffic-dependent, you could be at Magic Kingdom in like, 15-20 minutes. (Unless it's rush hour, then all bets are off. Pack snacks, water, and a good playlist.) The shuttle service is an option, but I’d recommend renting a car. Freedom, people! Freedom! (And the ability to escape potential timeshare pitches.)
Timeshares. Ugh. How bad is the sales pitch?
Ah, yes. The dreaded timeshare presentation. Look, it's there. It's inevitable. They offer "free" stuff (seriously, trust me, it's NEVER free!) to lure you in. The staff are super slick. I was warned, I *knew* what was coming, and I *still* almost caved. They’re good. *Really* good. My advice? Be polite but firm. Know your budget. Have a very clear "no" ready. And maybe, just maybe, if you're REALLY good, you can score a free breakfast AND escape with all your sanity (and money) intact. The best revenge is to enjoy the free stuff and then leave without buying! (And, you know, tell everyone on TripAdvisor what happened.)
Would you go back? Be honest.
Hmm… good question. Honestly? Yes. I'd go back. The pools alone are worth the trip. Location is key. It's generally clean and well-maintained, and the overall vibe is… fun. BUT, with a few caveats. I'd avoid the timeshare presentation like the plague. Pack earplugs (for the kids, the noise, the sales pitches…), and do your research on where to eat *before* you arrive. And most importantly… manage your expectations. It's not perfect. It's not the Ritz. But it's a good base for a fun Orlando vacation – as long as you know what you're getting into. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll dream of that lazy river…