Uncover the Hidden Gem of Tuscany: Bosco Della Spina, Murlo, Italy
Bosco Della Spina: Tuscany's Hidden Gem? Let's Unpack This. (And Maybe Need a Nap Afterwards)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Tuscan countryside, specifically, Bosco Della Spina in Murlo, Italy. Forget your perfectly curated Instagram feeds, because this review is gonna be a little less photo-shopped and a lot more real. Prepare yourselves, because this place…well, it's complicated.
Keywords for the Google Gods (and you, hopefully): Bosco Della Spina, Murlo, Tuscany, Italy, Hotel Review, Spa, Swimming Pool, Food, Accessibility, Family Friendly, Luxury, Relaxation, Wheelchair Accessible, Free Wi-Fi, Tuscan Experience.
First Impressions (and a mini-rant):
Getting there? Let's just say the drive is… charming. Okay, “charming” is code for "holy cow, is this road ever going to end?!" My GPS, bless its digital heart, kept pointing me down what appeared to be overgrown goat paths. Found myself muttering, "Are we REALLY there yet?!" A real test of my patience and the suspension on our rental Fiat. Eventually, though, the views started to appear – rolling hills, vineyards, and that quintessential Tuscan light that makes everything glow. Finally, Bosco Della Spina emerged from the landscape. It looked promising, like a rustic village dream.
Accessibility (Because, Let's Be Real, It Matters):
Okay, initial thoughts: The website says it's accessible. But, and this is a big but, the reality is… muddled. The public areas are decently accessible. Lived to see a ramp or accessible elevator in the main building and the restaurant. HOWEVER, my friend with a mobility scooter struggled a bit with some of the uneven terrain around the property. The paths aren’t super smooth, creating a challenge. Wheelchair access to some rooms, well, it's best to double check with the hotel because I don’t have concrete information. They need to be way more upfront about this, it's a BIG deal. Overall, it’s trying, but not perfect.
Rooms and the Great Wi-Fi Debate:
Alright, rooms. They're… spacious. Think Tuscan-style meets slightly dated, but charmingly so. We had a room with a view (gasp!), a comfy bed, some killer blackout curtains (bliss!), and an extra-long bed. Bonus! The free Wi-Fi? Yes! And, it actually worked! (a shocker, considering some of the tech in Tuscany!) They also had Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, which is always a win. My biggest gripe? The lighting. So dim! I'm no vampire, but I needed to squint to read a book at night.
The Spa & Relaxation Zone: My Spiritual Home:
Okay, let the spa rambling begin. This is where Bosco Della Spina really shines. Picture this: a pool with a breathtaking view of the Tuscan hills. You, floating. Sun warming your face. Bliss. Utter bliss. The spa area had a sauna, steam room, and a bunch of different treatments. I went for the "Body Wrap of Dreams" and practically melted into a puddle of relaxation. Honestly, amazing. I'm not even joking. The spa experience alone almost makes the trip worth it. Did I mention the view? I think I need to go back just to stare at it.
Things to Do (Besides Napping):
Okay, this is where Bosco Della Spina starts to feel a little less… epic. Besides the spa, there's a fitness center (I glanced at it, I SWEAR!) and… that's pretty much it. They have a lot of potential – Bike parking! – but it’s not exactly action-packed. Good for a truly relaxing break, but don't expect organized activities. It’s more about chilling out, enjoying the views by the pool, and… well, eating.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: The Foodie Factor
Alright, food. Another mixed bag. The restaurants are… ok. They serve a la carte in the restaurant, and also a buffet! The Asian breakfast was unexpected (and, let's be honest, a bit weird) but I had one and it's ok. Asian cuisine? Yeah, no idea why. The poolside bar is great place to drink some wine and have a good time. They have the Breakfast [buffet] Breakfast service, and the service is great, even though, it's just the basics. The Desserts in restaurant were pretty good. The Vegetarian restaurant is there. What's good? The Coffee/tea in restaurant is great and the Salad in restaurant is great. Good for the price. What could be improved? The Soup in restaurant was pretty bad. The Bottle of water is just 0.5l, c'mon! Overall: the food is pretty average.
Cleanliness and Safety: COVID-19 Considerations:
Okay, let's get real: I was anxious about traveling during COVID. Bosco Della Spina really tried. They had Hand sanitizer everywhere. Daily disinfection in common areas. Staff trained in safety protocol and they used Anti-viral cleaning products. They even had these Safe dining setup. To have Room sanitization opt-out available is a good idea and it's impressive. They even had Individually-wrapped food options. I felt reassured, but honestly it was more a mental thing.
Services and Conveniences (The Little Things):
They offer the basics: 24-hour Front desk, cash withdrawal, Concierge, Daily housekeeping, luggage storage. Essential condiments? Check. Ironing service? Yep. It's all there, but nothing to write home about.
For the Kids (Families, Take Note):
Family/child friendly? Yes. Kids facilities? No. Babysitting service? Ask them!
Getting Around (The Great Escape):
Airport transfer available. Car park [free of charge] is great! Taxi service is also available.
The Bottom Line (My Messy, Emotional Verdict):
Bosco Della Spina is like… Tuscan comfort food. You know, it's not perfect, it can be messy, but you go back for the feeling. The spa? Heaven. The views? Stunning. The food and accessibility? Room for improvement. Is it a hidden gem? Maybe. But it's a gem with a few rough edges. Would I go back? Honestly, yeah. Especially if they made the food a bit better and improved accessibility. You're not going to get perfection but you're going to feel relaxed.
Score: 7.5/10 (Spa gets an 9.5!). Definitely a place to disconnect and unwind, just temper your expectations – and pack some strong bug spray!
Ski-In/Ski-Out Luxury: Your Dream Apartment in Olsberg, Germany!Bosco Della Spina: My Unfiltered Italian Adventure (Prepare for Chaos!)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, Instagram-perfect travel blog. This is me, battling with cobblestones, questionable Wi-Fi, and a serious gelato addiction in the heart of Tuscany. We’re talking Bosco Della Spina, near Murlo – a place I picked with a pin on a map and a prayer. Pray it works out. Here we go…
Day 1: Arrival & Instant Gratification (aka, Gelato)
- Morning (or, "Whenever the Heck I Get Out of Bed"): Arrived at Florence Airport (FLR). The flight was okay. The jet lag is… well, let’s just say my internal clock thinks it’s still permanently brunch o'clock. Found the rental car - a tiny Fiat that looks like it hates me personally. I named her "Fiorella," mostly because I needed something to yell at on the hairpin turns to Murlo.
- Early Afternoon (the "Lost in Translation" Phase): Driving to Murlo made me question all my life choices. The GPS lady (named "Brenda" – why, oh why?) kept screaming, "RE-ROUTE" at me. Apparently, I have a knack for picking every goat track Tuscany has to offer. Finally, after hours of sweaty palms and existential dread, I see a sign with Murlo on it and I think I’m done for the day.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening (the "Gelato Fix" part): Found my little Airbnb. Which is… well, let's say it's "rustic charm" with a capital "C." Immediately, immediately, dumped my bags and went searching for gelato. I mean, priorities, people! Found a tiny, blink-and-you-miss-it gelateria in Murlo. Asked for "Uno gelato, per favore." The woman behind the counter – she must've been a zillion years old, and radiating sunshine from every pore– just pointed at the flavours and started yelling. I eventually got the point (and the pistachio, which practically melted in my mouth, or maybe I just inhaled it.) Heaven. Pure. Gelato. Heaven. This might be the highlight of the trip, and it's only day one!
- Evening: Wandered the cobbled streets of Murlo, which felt like stepping back in time (especially when I nearly tripped over one). Found a tiny trattoria. Ordered something. Probably pasta. It was… fine. The wine, however, was glorious. Felt the first pangs of "I'm actually, really here" mixed with a healthy dose of "OMG, am I going to be lost and alone for the next week?"
Day 2: Art, Archaeology, and a Near-Death Experience with a Squirrel
- Morning: Decided to channel my inner Indiana Jones and visit the Museo Archeologico in Murlo. Seriously, it's surprisingly fascinating. Etruscan bling! Pottery! All sorts of ancient goodies. I learned more than I ever thought I wanted to know about Etruscan burial rituals. Okay, maybe I skimmed the really detailed stuff. I got distracted by a really cute cat that kept trying to steal my pen.
- Mid-Morning (the "Squirrel Assault" Incident): Went for a walk through the Bosco Della Spina. It’s supposed to be a nature reserve or something, and it does look beautiful, I'll give it that. The trees are HUGE and the air smells like pine needles and… something unknown and mysterious. And then… I got ambushed by a squirrel. A very assertive squirrel. It practically dove at my face, demanding… I don't even know what! Nuts? My soul? I screamed like a little girl. Definitely not the cool, sophisticated traveler I envision myself as. The squirrel vanished before I could collect myself, and I still don’t know if it stole anything.
- Afternoon: Vowed to conquer my squirrel trauma. I ate lunch in Murlo and sat there wondering how can a squirrel be so violent.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Doubling Down on the Pain (and a Whole Lot More Gelato) I’ve decided to go back to the Bosco Della Spina. Gotta face your fears, right? I told myself. Pack some good snacks and prepare to be patient. The walk felt the same until the squirrel. He started to come at me again!! I ran! I may have cried. I'm not proud. So, I headed back to the gelateria (sensing a pattern here?) and consoled myself with three scoops of stracciatella and a large cone. The woman just smiled and winked, like she knew my pain. Gelato cures everything, apparently. Definitely got some looks, but who cares? This is my trip, damn it!
- Evening: Tried to cook dinner at the Airbnb. Epic fail. Pizza, frozen, the whole shebang. Burned it. Ordered a pizza from a local place. Pizza is the universal language of comfort, even if Fiorella the Fiat is starting to look like a melted chocolate cake - and there's a whole lot of work to do.
Day 3: Wine, Winding Roads, and the Ghosts of My Unfulfilled Travel Dreams
- Morning: Decided to venture out of Murlo (gasp!). Headed towards a winery (the one with the rave reviews). Found myself once again in a battle with the Fiat's speedometer.
- Mid-Morning: Wine tasting! The wine was divine, the views were breathtaking, and I may or may not have accidentally knocked over a wine glass. Luckily, people were polite. I bought a lot of wine. Too much wine.
- Afternoon: More driving. More winding roads. More "Brenda" and her incessant "RE-ROUTE" commands. Found a charming little town (I’ve forgotten the name), but it was beautiful and it got me to feel something again. Stopped for espresso. Smoked a cigarette and felt really, deeply, melancholic.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Headed back to the AirBnB.
- Evening: Sat on the tiny patio with my leftover pizza and a bottle of wine. Watched the sunset. The air was warm, the sky was painted with breathtaking colours. And that’s when the loneliness really hit. I thought this trip would be the answer to something, anything, but maybe all I need is to go to the bed and cry myself to sleep.
Day 4: Exploring the Unknown and Finally, a Moment (or Several) of Peace
- Morning: Today, I'm throwing the itinerary out the window. I'm driving, and I'm going wherever the road takes me. I need to get out of my head. Found myself at the start of a trail and decided to hike it.
- Mid-Morning: Walked to an old chapel near a lake. The chapel was beautiful. The lake was serene. And for the first time on this trip, I felt… peaceful. The silence was wonderful. It was just me and the rustle of leaves.
- Afternoon: Found a tiny trattoria in a town I still can't remember the name of. Ordered pasta. It was homemade, and delicious. Simple, perfect. Talked to the owner for a long time. He didn’t speak English. I didn’t speak Italian. Somehow, we understood each other.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: The Return of the Gelato I returned to Murlo. I didn’t get jumped by any squirrels. (Which is a huge win!). I bought more gelato. The woman at the gelateria gave me a knowing look and added an extra scoop.
- Evening: Watched the sunset again. This time, I wasn't alone. The air seemed less heavy.
Day 5: Preparation for Departure and Final Gelato Farewell
- Morning: Packed most of my stuff. Said goodbye to the Airbnb.
- Mid-Morning: Went to the Museo Archeologico again, just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. The cat from the first day was there, too, and I was happy to see him.
- Afternoon: Went back to the gelateria, and the woman gave me an extra hug and said "a presto." I asked her what I can do to come back. She stared at me blankly.
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Started to prepare Fiorella for the drive to Florence, and just like that, I found myself lost again.
- Evening: Said goodbye to the sunset. It was so pretty, and I can't wait to come back.
Final Thoughts (aka, The Rambling Wrap-Up)
So, was this trip perfect? Hell no. Was it all I expected? Nope. Did I get lost, feel lonely, and almost get attacked by a squirrel? You betcha. But it was also beautiful, and interesting, and filled with moments of pure joy. Bosco Della Spina near Murlo isn’t just a place; it’s a tangled, messy, sometimes annoying, and utterly unforgettable experience. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Until the next adventure. Ciao!
Ski-In/Ski-Out Luxury! Your Dream Apartment in Medebach Awaits!Bosco Della Spina, Murlo: So You *Think* You Know Tuscany? Think Again. (FAQ - Because I Freakin' Needed One)
Alright, Alright, *Bosco Della Spina*. Sounds...rustic. What *is* it, exactly? Is it just another Tuscan vista, bleh?
Okay, deep breaths. Bosco Della Spina (literally "Forest of the Thorn," though trust me, it’s not *all* thorns, mostly) is a hidden gem. Forget the crowded Florence selfie spots. This is Murlo, a tiny medieval village in Siena province, and this 'bosco' is basically their backyard, a haven of trails, rolling hills, Etruscan artifacts, and, crucially, *silence*. It's not postcard perfect, and it definitely won't get you a million likes on Insta. But it's real. It's unpretentious. And, frankly, it might just steal your soul. Think of it as Tuscany’s shy cousin who you *kind of* like more than the Instagram-famous one. I actually *hated* it at first. Overwhelmed, you know? My inner tourist clenching its fists. But it grew on me. Like a fungus, a beautiful, trail-blazing, Etruscan-artifact-finding fungus. We'll get to the artifacts later.
Okay, fine, "hidden gem." But *why* Murlo? Why not the Uffizi? Or the Duomo? (judge not, I'm a tourist!)
Look, I get the pull of the big names. Believe me, I do. But Murlo offers something...different. Something you can't Photoshop. It's the feeling of actually *being* in a place, not just ticking boxes on a bucket list. It's the smell of woodsmoke clinging to the air, the friendly nods from the locals who *don't* immediately assume you're there to spend a fortune. Besides, the roads leading to Murlo? Stunning! And twisty. I swear, I almost lost my lunch on one of those hairpin turns. And then I was like “wow, this is actually… a little exciting?” It's anti-tourist perfection. And, okay, the food. We'll circle back to that, too. My stomach is currently making demands.
Is it...difficult to get to? Because I am *terrible* at driving. And directions. (Also, my GPS always betrays me.)
Yes. Okay, yes, it's a bit of a trek. The GPS *will* lead you astray at some point. Mine tried to send me down a goat path, which, to be fair, *looked* like a road. I swear, I think those devices are programmed to mess with tourists. That said, Google Maps is your best friend, just... double-check. And learn some basic Italian phrases, like "dov'รจ il bagno?" (where's the bathroom?) and "aiuto!" (help!). Seriously, I swear that's all I needed. Driving itself is not inherently *difficult*, it just requires patience and a willingness to embrace the (occasional) wrong turn. And keep an eye out for those hairpin turns I mentioned. They're...exhilarating, once you stop hyperventilating.
Okay, trails. Hiking? I'm not exactly Bear Grylls. Are the trails *actually* accessible, or just filled with treacherous ravines and man-eating badgers?
Relax! The trails in Bosco Della Spina are mostly well-maintained. There are options for all abilities, from leisurely strolls to more challenging hikes. And no, there are no man-eating badgers (as far as I know). There are, however, *a lot* of mosquitoes. Bring bug spray, seriously. I got eaten alive. I looked like I'd been in some kind of, I don't know, insect-based cage match. The trails vary in difficulty, but you can definitely find paths suitable for families, or even an old, clumsy fool like, well, me. The views are gorgeous, and the tranquility is worth its weight in gold (or, you know, euros). On one hike, I actually tripped on a root. Embarrassing. But I got back up. And the view...wow.
Etruscan artifacts, you said? Seriously? In the *woods*? Is this real life? Or am I dreaming of a history-themed nightmare?
Oh, it's REAL. Murlo is known for its significant Etruscan history. You can visit the Antiquarium of Poggio Civitate, a museum showcasing artifacts unearthed from the area. I mean, picture it: ancient settlements, mysterious rituals, and pottery that's been around longer than your grandma. It's mind-boggling! I'm not a history buff, usually. The kind who doze off at the mention of dates. But the *stuff* itself is fascinating. The Etruscan artifacts and the experience of going to the museum was the reason I felt in awe, I found myself actually *interested*! I spent hours wandering around, gawking at the objects, imagining the lives of the people who made and used them. It was a genuinely moving experience. I am not ashamed to say, I may have shed a tear. Twice. Okay, maybe three times.
Food. Okay, *now* you're talking. What's the grub situation? Expecting pizza and pasta, or something more...rustic?
Oh. My. God. The food. Forget any diet plans you might have. You're in Tuscany, baby! Rustic is an understatement. Think fresh pasta, local cheeses, wild boar ragu, and enough wine to make you forget your troubles (and maybe your name). The restaurants in Murlo are small, family-run operations. No fancy menus. Just honest, delicious food made with love. I had the *best* pici pasta with cacio e pepe at a tiny trattoria, and I'm still dreaming about it. The wine? Divine. I think I blacked out at one point. Completely worth it. Just be prepared for larger portions than expected (I am not complaining). Be prepared to waddle out of the restaurant. Consider this your official warning: you *will* overeat. And you *will* love every second of it.
Okay, you've convinced me. But what's the *best* part, the thing I'll never forget? Give me the emotional core!
The *best* part? That's a tough one. There were so many… The air itself. The light. The colours. The simplicity. The food. Okay, so, the food might have had a disproportionate effect on me. One specific moment stands out, though. I was hiking, totally lost (naturally), and it was this gorgeous evening. The sun was setting, painting the hills in gold and purple. I was tired, sweaty, and covered in mosquito bites. But I also felt...free. And then I saw this family having a picnic, chatting away in Italian, completely unbothered by my presence. They had a small radio playing, music was in the air, the laughter. It just made me think of my family, and how much I missed them... It was a moment of pure,Wander Stay Spot