Carrington Motel: Your NZ Getaway Awaits (New Plymouth Paradise!)
Carrington Motel: New Plymouth Paradise? Let's Dive In! (And the Wi-Fi Better Be Good!)
Alright, folks, buckle up. I’ve just returned from a stay at the Carrington Motel, a place that, according to their shiny brochure, promises a "New Plymouth Paradise!" I’m here to tell you if it delivers on that promise, warts and all. And trust me, I've got the warts part covered. My expectations were high (I’m a sucker for a good view, especially from a pool) and my inner critic was primed to pounce. Let’s see if the Carrington could handle it.
Metadata & SEO Jargon (Gotta Get Those Clicks!):
- Keywords: Carrington Motel, New Plymouth, New Zealand, Accommodation, Wheelchair Accessible, Pool, Spa, Restaurant, Free Wi-Fi, Accessible Motel New Zealand, Family Friendly, Pet-Friendly (or not!), Kiwi Getaway, Taranaki, Things to Do, Reviews, Hotel Review, Motel Review.
- Meta Description (Short, Sweet & Click-Bait-y): Unfiltered review of the Carrington Motel in stunning New Plymouth, NZ! Discover if it's paradise, from accessibility to the food (and that Wi-Fi!). Honest opinions, quirky insights, and all the juicy details you need for your Taranaki escape.
Accessibility (More Than Just a Ramped Entrance, Praying it's Good!):
Okay, so, first things first. I tried to check the accessibility features, because that's super important, right? The brochure was full of glossy photos, but reality…well, that's always a bit different. They boast about "facilities for disabled guests" (that's a good start!), but the actual level of accessibility needs further investigation. The elevator was definitely there, which is a huge plus for a multi-story motel. However, navigating some of the common areas, particularly if you’re using a wheelchair, could get a little…cozy. The hallways weren't overly wide. Honestly, the brochure was a bit vague. I'd recommend calling ahead and getting specifics if this is a major concern for you. Did I use the accessible features myself? No. Was I happy to see they were there and potentially good? Yes. Now, if they'd just had a ramp to the poolside bar…
On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges (Fingers Crossed for the Bar!):
I poked around a bit. The main restaurant seemed accessible, but again, not necessarily ideal. My biggest gripe? The views! The best views, the ones you really want to experience, might be slightly out of reach if you're mobility impaired. Think about that - you're traveling, you want to unwind and enjoy a drink with a view, and you might be stuck looking at a wall. Not ideal.
Wheelchair Accessible (The Reality Check):
This should have been with accessibility, but I'm feeling random, so here it sits: Okay, so the rooms? Again, I didn't need a wheelchair accessible room, but I peeked (because nosy is my middle name). The modifications were there, but the layouts…well, some might find maneuvering a bit challenging. Again, best to call and clarify. I'm thinking wide doorways are a must, but the space near the bed wasn't huge, and the bathroom… well, I hope there was ample space. It's one thing to say you're accessible, another to deliver in a way that makes guests feel accommodated, not just tolerated.
Internet Access (The Real Test: Wi-Fi and Beyond!):
Alright, let’s get to the important stuff. The free Wi-Fi in all rooms. The big selling point, apparently. And it was free. And…mostly…worked. But let me tell you a story. I needed to upload some massive files for work. And the Wi-Fi struggled. We're talking dial-up speed, people. I started hallucinating in the lobby. The LAN connection? Yeah, that seemed to be a relic of the past, a ghost of an old internet god who had abandoned us all. It was like the internet was deciding, “Oh, you need to get your work done? Well, too bad.” A few curses later, and I was back in business (somehow I got my work done), but it was definitely not a stress-free experience. The public Wi-Fi? The same. Spotty. Unreliable. So, good intentions, Carrington Motel, but the execution needs some serious work here.
Things to Do (Beyond the Motel, Which is Sometimes Better!):
New Plymouth is amazing. Seriously. The coastal walkway is stunning. The art galleries are a must (Govett-Brewster Art Gallery/Len Lye Centre, look it up!). Hiking in the national park is epic. The Carrington Motel is conveniently located near a lot of fantastic things to do. So, even if the Wi-Fi is a disaster, you can escape to real life and see the sights.
Ways to Relax (Pool with a View, Please!):
Ah, the amenities… This is where the Carrington sort of shines. The outdoor pool is beautiful, and yes, it has a view. A cracking view! Swimming, sunbathing, pretending to be a glamorous movie star… it’s all possible. The sauna was…well, it was a sauna. Hot and steamy, as one would expect. The gym? Let’s just say it’s functional. Nothing fancy, enough for a quick workout. The spa… I did not partake, but it sounded nice, and the prices seemed reasonable. I always find myself thinking, "hmm, will I get a massage?" And I always choose to have another beer. So, my priorities may not be yours.
Cleanliness and Safety (The COVID Era Reality):
I'm a germaphobe (don't judge me!). And the Carrington Motel took cleaning seriously. The staff were clearly trained to do a good job. Hand sanitizer was everywhere. They had the whole anti-viral cleaning products, the individually-wrapped food options, and the rooms sanitized between stays. I didn’t see any staff running around in hazmat suits, which was a plus (though maybe a little more theatrics might add some excitement). It all felt…safe. And I appreciated that, truly.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Fueling Your Adventures!):
The restaurant had a buffet breakfast, which, as someone who loves a good buffet, made me happy. There were scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, and plenty of other options. The coffee was…average. No, let's be honest, it was weak. But hey, the buffet was there. The bar was a pleasant surprise. They made a good espresso martini for me. The snack bar had the usual suspects, but the prices were a little high (as expected), but the convenience was there. The a la carte menu offered some interesting choices for dinner. The food was generally good. Nothing Michelin-star worthy, but certainly satisfying after a day of exploring. My favourite moment? Watching the sunset with a cold beer whilst eating a burger. Pure bliss.
Services and Conveniences (The Little Things that Matter):
The Carrington Motel offers many services. Laundry service, dry cleaning, cash withdrawal, and all that. The staff were genuinely helpful. The concierge, however, seemed a bit stretched at times, but not because they weren't working hard. They were simply too few in number. The hotel had an elevator, which (a big point) made life easier with luggage. The car park was free and readily accessible. This is important…I hate circling a place looking for parking. The convenience store? It had what you needed.
For the Kids (Family Friendly, Right?):
I didn't have kids with me, but the place seemed family-friendly. There were kids' meals on the menu. I spotted a couple of high chairs at the breakfast buffet. The pool is a big draw for families. But in terms of dedicated kids facilities, it was a bit lacking. The Kids facilities were basically there. Available in All Rooms (The Essentials):
Air conditioning? Yep. Blackout curtains? Hallelujah! (I need my sleep!). A coffee/tea maker? Yes, but bring your own good coffee, trust me. Free Wi-Fi? We’ve covered that… A fridge? Yep. Safe? I didn’t use the in-room safe, but it was there. All the basics were covered. The window that opened? Yes. Finally!
My Overall Verdict (The Big Finish!):
The Carrington Motel is a mixed bag. It has a lot going for it: a fantastic location in a gorgeous city, a lovely pool with a view, generally friendly staff, and decent amenities. However, the Wi-Fi and the overall emphasis on accessibility could use a bit of work. It's not paradise, not quite. It's more like a
Escape to Luxury: Your Dream Forest Getaway in Bad Pyrmont!Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your glossy travel brochure. This is real life, Carrington Motel edition, New Plymouth, New Zealand. My sanity? A little bit like the weather forecast here – unpredictable.
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Kiwi Slipper Hunt (aka, "Where's My Damn Remote?")
- 14:00: Land at New Plymouth Airport. Holy cow, the wind! Feels like it's trying to rip my lungs out. And the airport? Tiny. Cute, but tiny. Grab a rental car, a battered Mazda that smells vaguely of sheep and regret (my regret, mostly, for booking this thing).
- 15:00: Check into the Carrington Motel. Okay, first impressions… clean-ish. The floral wallpaper looks like it's been around since, oh, I don't know, the dawn of time. The receptionist? Bless her soul. She's got the slightly vacant, seen-it-all look that only comes from decades in the hospitality trenches.
- 15:30: The room inspection. First rule of motel life: locate the remote. Seriously, why are remotes always hiding? Under the bed? Nope. Behind the curtains? Nada. Next to the… OH! There it is, sandwiched between a bible (hmmm) and a brochure about… cheese. Seriously, New Zealand, are you trying to tempt me?
- 16:00: Settle in. The view from the window? A brick wall. Sigh. This is going to be me, isn't it? Staring at a brick wall for the next few days. I should have sprung for the sea view. Regrets, I have a few.
- 16:30: A proper coffee at the motel! (or, the closest thing to it - instant). Okay, this is not bad.
- 17:00: Walk to the beach and the wind is absolutely insane! (as expected).
- 18:00: Dinner. It's not a culinary masterpiece, but hey, it's food, and I'm starting to embrace this whole "low expectations" thing. Feeling pretty tired after all the travel.
Day 2: Mount Taranaki and The Great Mud Massacre
- 08:00: Wake up. The brick wall beckons, but so does Mount Taranaki. I've already heard it's stunning, like a grumpy old volcano. This calls for a hearty breakfast.
- 08:30: Breakfast! (A very basic continental breakfast, some toast, and eggs): Decent enough.
- 09:00: Drive to Egmont National Park. Oh, the scenery! Green, lush, and so alive. I finally understand why people rave about New Zealand. The air smells clean. The trees are enormous. My cynical soul starts to thaw a little.
- 10:30: Hike around the Pouakai Tarns. (A hike with amazing views, and very muddy one). I am slipping and sliding in mud. My mood is souring.
- 13:00: Absolutely Mud massacre and a walk in the rain! I am filthy. My shoes are caked in muck. My jeans are… well, let's just say they'll never be the same. This is either hilarious or horrifying, and right now, I am not deciding. I'm laughing at myself. It's the only option.
- 14:00: Pizza and a beer. I'm not usually a beer person, but I earned this. I am going to put some of these muddy clothes on the clothesline.
- 15:00: Re-enter the motel and wash off. I feel a little better (still very tired, though).
- 16:00: Back to the beach! The waves look wild.
- 17:00: Dinner. I'm tired. Something easy. And yes, probably more cheese. This is New Zealand, after all.
Day 3: City Exploration and The Search for a Decent Coffee Shop
- 09:00: Finally, a decent sleep. I'm still covered in mud (figuratively, at least, from the previous day).
- 10:00: Decent coffee! (finally). Found an awesome coffee shop in New Plymouth, and I am going to go again tomorrow.
- 12:00: Visit the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery. The art… is challenging. Some of it I understand, some of it… not so much. But hey, at least it’s something different from the brick wall.
- 14:00: Explore the Coastal Walkway. It's stunning. The Tasman Sea is a deep, moody blue, and the wind is still trying to steal my hat.
- 16:00: More coffee. I'm becoming a caffeine addict.
- 17:00: Dinner. Actually, going to try a pub and maybe have an early night…
Day 4: Adios, Carrington (and Maybe New Zealand?)
- 09:00: Last night in paradise.
- 10:00: One last walk on the beach. It's hard to believe I'm leaving this place. New Zealand has stolen my heart, even if it did try to drown me in mud.
- 11:00: Check out of the Carrington Motel. The floral wallpaper and I have come to a sort of understanding. The receptionist gives me a small smile. Goodbye, New Plymouth. You weird, wonderful place.
- 12:00: Head to the airport. Still windy. Still beautiful.
- 14:00: Board the plane. Goodbye, New Zealand. I already miss you. And your cheese.